Posted on December 14, 2012
The holidays are here, which means your annual work holiday party is around the corner! Avoid the one thing that keeps you from having a good time, the dreaded hangover, by taking some of our preventative and remedy advice from yours truly.
Prevention is key:
1. Don’t drink…..well, we know for most Howlers that’s not going to happen so try to keep it within moderation. Moving on…..
2. Drink lots of water! Stay hydrated. It’s easy to remember if you alternate one alcoholic beverage, then one glass of water.
3. Don’t drink on an empty stomach. Think healthy foods and complex carbs!
4. Be a choosey drinker! Stay away from sugary and carbonated drinks. Also, drink clear liquors over colored ones (darker alcohol can worsen your hangover).
5. After you are home and done drinking, pop a couple of ibuprofen or Advil with a very large glass of water. Never take anything with acetaminophen (like Tylenol) though because it could hurt your liver.
6. I like to keep a giant glass of water by my bed so I don’t have to get up in the middle of the night because of cottonmouth. You should do the same.
If you still wake up the next morning with that all too familiar “I am never drinking alcohol again” feeling, try some of these tried-and-true remedies that can take you from a day in holiday hangover hell, to a day that is merry and bright. 🙂
1. Drink….more water. And anything with electrolytes in it. My personal favorite is Vitamin Water Zero, acai-blueberry-pomegranate flavor.
2. Drink some Pedialyte. It replenishes electrolytes your body has lost and re-hydrates.
3. Temporary fix: hair of the dog. Although another drink may not be the best solution for curing a hangover, it can sure take the edge off if you need a quick fix.
4. Eat something. The doctor would say to stick with easy-to-digest foods. As a marketing coordinator, I say breakfast burritos from McDonald’s.
6. Snooze. It. Off.