A shot of whiskey a day keeps the doctor away! If you need an excuse to drink more whiskey*, here are six:
1. Whiskey is fat-free and low-carb
One shot of whisky has only .04 carbs and absolutely zero fat. So long beer belly, hello perfect abs!
2. Whiskey can lower the risk of having a stroke.
Don’t take this the wrong way – too much of anything is a bad thing, and whiskey is no exception. However, moderate whiskey consumption (about one drink a day) may protect you against an ischemic stroke.
3. Drinking whiskey can help prevent cancer.
“Research has shown that there are even greater health benefits to people who drink single-malt whiskies. Why? Single-malt whiskies have more ellagic acid than red wine.” – Dr Jim Swan at the EuroMedLab conference in Glasgow in 2005. Ellagic acid is an antioxidant that can absorb rogue cancer cells. This research needs more backing to become conclusive – support the study and drink up!
4. An adult’s risk of dementia can be lowered by drinking 1 to 6 glasses of whiskey a week
Drinking moderate amounts of whiskey will lower the odds of incident dementia more than drinking no alcohol according to this 2003 case study.
5. Your risk of developing heart disease may be reduced by drinking whiskey.
By raising the body’s level of antioxidants, a large shot of whiskey can help to protect you from heart desease and boost your body’s defenses against disease.
6. The word whiskey means “water of life.”
Whiskey derives from the Gaelic word “Uisege Beatha“, meaning “water of life”. And you can’t live without water!
*Remember that like all alcohol, whiskey is good for you only in moderation!Go Back